About

My name is Stephen Elder
I am currently working on an RPG demo with the ultimate goal of applying to Kickstarter for funding to complete the project.


The demo's official Facebook page.
Likes and comments very much appreciated.


I am available for commission in drawing sprites, battlers and making tilesets for RPG Maker.

All inquiries at:

elder71@hotmail.co.uk

Repertoire:

+ Degree in English Literature and Creative Writing

+ Capable, part-time artist
(pencil sketching, watercolour, digital art, pixel art)

+ Self taught in Photoshop Elements 10 and G.I.M.P 2.0
(and, by proxy, MS Paint..)

+ General understanding of programming principles
(self taught the basics of C++ - made a functioning calculator and "guess the number" game..)

+ Excellent familiarity with Microsoft Office and general computer skills
(though by no means a qualified or even experienced computer technician, I am as au fait as 8 hours a day at my laptop can get me)

+ 24 years of being distracted by daydreams

+ Professional experience in teamwork and team leading within a civil service post

Interests:

= Fantasy/ Science Fiction/ New Weird/ Cyberpunk

= World building
(map design, location description and detailing, a fascination for weird architecture and nature's more bizarre creations)

= Story writing
(short stories, concept outlines, character descriptions and bios, weapons, vehicles, items, romances, plot structures, rivalries, dreamscapes, lore, armours, magic systems)

= Video Game design
(script, character design, original concept, level design and layout - generally all creative elements)

= Tabletop RPGs
(avid Dungeons and Dragons DM, currently working on the lore and game mechanics for an original tabletop RPG with another writer and an artist. So far it's just a hobby, but serious thought and efforts are planned.)

= Modding
(specifically an old Sierra game called "Empire Earth", I redesign the game textures (.SST, .TGA) and swap model files (.CEM) for my own designs)

Friday 5 September 2014

The Erias Line - update

It's been a long time since I posted last. This is because I've been unbelievably busy coping with a burgeoning sense that days are not only not long enough, but getting shorter.

A lot has developed since my last post.

The demo is now finished, subject only to some stringent beta testing and error proofing. I've now moved onto developing a trailer, which has turned out to be a much harder process than I imagined, using Lightworks 11.5.


As the whole thing inches towards ultimate completion, promotion and submission for funding, I feel myself growing more and more nervous. The stakes come into sharper and sharper focus and the rising terror is tempered only by an equal sense of excitement.

It was strange to realise that I hadn't considered other people playing this demo. Of course, that's what it's for - but I'd never taken time to consider the effect this would have on me. The amount of work that has gone into this project, and all of its incumbent risks, have left me with a strong feeling of being exposed. And while I would never hope for false praise, I am obviously anxious for players to enjoy the story, setting and characters unfolding before them in a quantity at least partly equal to the effort that has gone into orchestrating those features.

It's late at night now and I've probably waffled on enough. For your patience, here is a sample presentation of the (finished...) game's five central characters, including the three that will appear in the demo.

-S.E



No comments:

Post a Comment